May 7, 2009

Mommy’s Memories

When Luci was here in March she got Mom to talking about how things were when she and Dad first got married.  Here are a couple of memories that Mom shared;




When Mom and Dad first married, Uncle Miles and Aunt Ida lived across the river near where the old swinging bridge was. 

In the summer they would get in a small row boat and go visit them and fish a while on the way.  When Clyde was a baby they took him along.
Click on photo to view full size.



Once they went to church and left Clyde with Uncle Jennings and Maw’line.  Mom had put the little stoppers under the nipples of the bottles she left for him. Maw’line didn’t know about them. Clyde screamed for three hours while sucking on those bottles. 
That was the only time that Maw’line ever kept Clyde.

2 comments:

Clyde said...

I'm a bit disappointed by the story about Maw'line. I had always heard how tough she was, how if Homer or Dad ran from a whipping she would knock them down with a rock and then whip them. It's surprising to learn she could only last one round with me, and I was just a baby.

I'm saddened by the Miles and Ida story. Picturing Mom and Dad with me in the little boat on the river reminds me of how peaceful, serene, and idyllic life was before all those little sisters came along. It didn't stay that way for long however.

Anonymous said...

One of my earliest memories is of standing in a chair at the sink with Clyde holding a dish in one hand, putting a dish rag in my hand and then guiding my hand around the dish to teach me how to do dishes. Hey if us girls hadn't come along you would still be standing at the sink doing dishes. Oh yeah, you are still standing at the sink doing dishes aren't you. Never Mind.